At Egan Roberts Accountants based in Ribchester, Lancashire we can advise you as to whether your ‘excuses’ and expense claims are reasonable or whether they just won’t cut it with HMRC.
We’ve shared with you below some of the recent claims submitted to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Late Tax Return Excuses
1. I spilt coffee on it.
2. My ex-wife left my tax return upstairs, but I suffer from vertigo and can’t go upstairs to retrieve it.
3. My wife has been seeing aliens and won’t let me enter the house to file my return.
Less recent excuses also include:
1. My husband ran over my laptop.
2. My dog ate my tax return.
3. My tax papers were left in the shed and the rat ate them.
All of the above will not be seen as ‘reasonable’ and are likely to suffer a £100 penalty which can be significantly increased the later your return is filed.
Interesting expense claims have included:
1. A three piece suite for my partner to sit on when I’m doing my accounts.
2. Hotel room service for candles and prosecco.
3. £4.50 for sausage and chips meal for 250 days.
Unsurprisingly, all of these claims were rejected by HMRC.
Need more information?
Follow the links below for some guidance on reasonable excuses and expense claims.
Alternatively, if you would like to get in touch with us, please use the contact form below, visit our website www.egan.co.uk or call us on 01254 583515.
Enquiry About My Tax
If you think there might be anything amiss with your Tax, or you’re setting up a new business and don’t want to get in any uncomfortable positions with HMRC, contact us for a free meeting to discuss your situation and how we may be able to help now and in the future.