HMRC launches an app to assist with personal taxation
The newly issued HMRC app enables individuals to find information about their tax, National Insurance, tax credits and benefits on the move. Suitable for both Apple and Android devices, users will need their Government Gateway credentials to access the information.
For accountants like us who act as tax agents for individuals and for whom we will never have full access to the client’s personal tax account this provides easy way to enable clients to show us, ‘on the move’, otherwise unavailable information without having to access it via a computer/internet.
Full details can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-official-hmrc-app/the-free-hmrc-app
You can use the HMRC app to estimate your tax, manage your tax credits, access your Help to Save account, or work out your take-home pay.
Used by more than 550,000 people per month, the app puts you at the heart of your tax matters and financial life.
What the HMRC app enables you to do
You can use it to:
- view your tax code and an estimate of the tax you need to pay
- see your income and benefits
- check your National Insurance number
- view your tax credits payments schedule
- renew your tax credits
- access your Help to Save account
- use our tax calculator to work out your take home pay after Income Tax and National Insurance deductions
- track forms and letters you’ve sent to us
- get 6-digit access codes to make your HMRC accounts more secure
Download the free HMRC app now from:
How to sign in
The first time you sign in, you’ll need to enter your Government Gateway ID and password. If you haven’t got these, go to the Government Gateway website and register as an individual.
Whenever you use the app again, depending on what your handset supports, you can sign in using:
- a 6-digit PIN
- fingerprint authentication
- facial recognition
Setting up a personal tax account
You can use the app to set up a personal tax account by giving us your name, National Insurance number and date of birth.
If we need to verify your identity, we’ll ask for details such as your passport number and information about your salary.
Sign in to your Help to Save account
The Help to Save service went into a trial phase known as ‘private beta’ in January 2018. It is being rolled out gradually so that it can be tested and developed.
If you’ve already opened a Help to Save account as part of the trial, you can use the app to:
- check your Help to Save account balance and bonus
- keep track of how much money you’ve paid in each month
- see how much money you can still pay in before the end of each calendar month
- set regular reminders to add to your savings
- view all your payments and withdrawals
If you want to do other tasks, such as pay money in, it is easy to sign in to your Help to Save account using the app.
Safety and security
HMRC takes cyber security very seriously – see how we are keeping you safe online.
Help and support
If you have a problem with your account that you can’t solve using HMRC’s online resources, contact us for help.